Photo courtesy of Grant Cochrane from freedigitalphotos.net
This carrot soup recipe is simply delicious and perfect for the fall and winter months. Carrots are one of healthiest vegetables you can eat and are high in Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Fiber, Magnesium, and Beta-Carotene. It’s an antioxidant great for hair, skin, nails, cardiovascular health, and vision. Most importantly, it aids in preventing several types of cancers, such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, and lung cancer.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Celery stalks finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 Carrots (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and thickly sliced
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 Lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 2 Bay leaves
- Gluten-free vegan croutons (optional) buy them here.
- Nut cheese (optional) See the recipe here or buy it here.
- In a large soup pot, saute the diced onion, celery, and minced garlic in heated olive oil (about 5-7 minutes). Then add carrots and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes, covered, and stirring occasionally.
- Pour in broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Add honey. Let Simmer for about 30 minutes or until carrots are fully softened. Then, allow some time for cooling. Once it is cool enough, place soup mixture into a blender and blend completely.
- Once the soup has been completely blended, transfer back to soup pot and turn on low heat. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, cinnamon, thyme, sage, and bay leaves. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with gluten-free vegan croutons and nut cheese.