During the holidays, stuffing is always popular in our home. However, I prefer to eat a mostly gluten-free diet because I feel best without gluten. In fact, even if you don’t suffer from Celiac Disease (a condition that makes eating gluten intolerable), some experts claim that gluten and carbs should be avoided for better health. To understand more about gluten, click here.
Being gluten-free doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy holiday traditions like stuffing. Try this simple recipe. I modify the recipe that’s on the back of the box slightly…it’s a winner in my home every time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, add vegan butter and garlic and sauté onions and celery
- Add almonds and toast them, set aside vegetable mixture and let cool
- Place package of stuffing in a mixing bowl and add the vegetable mixture, vegetable broth, and eggs or egg substitute
- Let stand for one minute and then stir until all liquid is absorbed
- Pack the stuffing mixture into an un-greased baking pan
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes
- Uncover the dish and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes (I then turned on the broiler and broiled for about 5 minutes to get the top crispy)
- Serve with some fabulous entrees like our Meatless Loaf with Mushroom Gravy, click here for the recipe.