Almond milk is a favorite of mine but I had never made it fresh. Someone once asked “how exactly do you milk an almond?” Too cute! Well, here’s how. The recipe comes from our favorite raw foodist, Mimi Kirk’s book Live RAW. You must check it out. She has amazing raw food recipes that you will love.
- 1 cup soaked almonds (soak over night)
- 3 cups water
- 2 medjool dates (remove pitts)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a high-powered blender mix 3 cups water, almonds, 2 medjool dates (remove pits and Mimi’s says check carefully for any creatures that might have gotten into the dates), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Blend until creamy
- Strain the mixture using a mesh strainer or use a fabric pouch (cheese cloth); you can purchase one through our store, click here. Or you can use Super Tuff from a hardware store, only $4, and it works great because you can squeeze the almond milk out, leaving only the pulp, which can then be frozen or eaten with soy yogurt, cereal, or in smoothies.