Lentils are great high-fiber food and, for those of you wanting to slim down, they are an excellent “weight loss” food because of their high fiber. They help provide a satisfied feeling while the soluble fiber also helps to lower your blood cholesterol. Lentils are low in fat and high in protein, making them a perfect substitute for meat.
Rich in nutrients, vitamins, and folic acid, lentils can help prevent heart disease, bone fractures (for those with osteoporosis), and dementia. They also contain lots of iron so they should be a staple in the vegetarian/vegan diet.
I simply love them as they’re quick to make and usually I have some for the next day. I even eat them for breakfast after a long cardio workout. This recipe is an adaptation of the way I usually serve them (see here); both are outstanding!
Ingredients for Lentils
- Lentils (you can buy pre-cooked, steamed ready-to serve or start with just the dry beans)
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- Butter lettuce (8-10 leaves)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup edamame (shelled)
- Dollop hummus
- 2 Limes (juice)
- Prepare the lentils by using fresh lentils or Trader Joe’s sells pre-packaged lentils that are pretty good when you’re in a hurry. They might contain more sodium than you like, so check the package ingredients.
- In a sauce pan, sauté the garlic, chopped onions, and cucumbers, just enough to let the flavor soak in, but don’t let the veggies get soggy.
- Mix the sautéed ingredients into the lentils.
- Place a generous portion in each leaf of butter lettuce
- Top with chopped heirloom tomatoes, edamame, a dollop of hummus, a sprinkling of sesame seeds, and drizzle with Thai Cucumber Sauce (recipe below)
Ingredients for Thai Cucumber Sauce
Directions for Thai Cucumber Sauce
- In a sauce pan heat to boil the rice vinegar, agave nectar and salt. If using Thai Fish Sauce (DO NOT HEAT) instead, add the fish sauce AFTER you remove the mixture from the heat; otherwise it has a very pungent odor.
- Once the mixture boils and the ingredients have dissolved, remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour over the sliced cucumbers and top with chili pepper and a squeeze of lime juice. Add cilantro, if you like.