This recipe is the: Winner of “Best Healthy Dish”, 2012 Tastefest Celebrity Chef Challenge.
Are you looking for a meatless alternative to holiday traditional turkey or ham? No need to buy vegan turkey or feel left out, because this vegan recipe is protein packed with delicious flavor and plant based nutrition that will be the envy at the holiday buffet table.
“Tastes like Thanksgiving!!” Wing Lam, Owner of Wahoo! Fish Taco’s Restaurants, Tastefest Judge. Read how Anna Naturalista created this award-winning recipe.
Ingredients To Make Veggie Nut Loaf (Dry Mixture)
- 1 cup raw nuts* – finely chopped brazil, pecan, almond finely chopped (**nut allergy? see “Notes” below)
- ¼ cup raw seeds* – whole sunflower, pumpkin or pine nuts
- ½ cup Bob’s gluten free baking flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
Directions For Dry Mixture
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (f) and set your intentions on Love, Health and Joy as you create this meal for those you care about. Turn on some good music or call up a friend and have fun!
- Mix all dry ingredients together in large bowl (we will be adding everything else to this bowl)
Ingredients To Sauté
- ¼ cup Coconut oil
- 3-4 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cup chopped Crimini mushrooms (or baby portabellas)
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley (optional chopped chard, spinach, sorrel, kale or other hearty leafy greens with light to medium flavor.
Directions For Sauté
- Over med-low heat for about 10 minutes until mushrooms have cooked down and everything smells great! Set aside to let cool a bit while you prepare the rest.
Ingredients For Pesto Paste
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Rosemary (pick leaves off stem)
- 10-15 Fresh Basil leaves
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Oregano (pick leaves off stem)
- 1-2 cloves Raw Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Grapeseed Oil
Directions For Pesto Paste
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until it turns into a smooth pesto liquified paste.
- Pour into dry mix bowl and store
Ingredients For Final Mixture
- 2 medium Zucchini–shredded
- 2 medium carrots–shredded
- 2 Eggs–pre-whipped (or vegan egg substitute, 1/2 cup sprouted tofu blended with 1 tablespoon ground flax)
Directions For Final Mixture
- Mix the raw carrots and zucchini with the eggs, and add this mixture to the big bowl and stir. Then add the sautéed veggie mix into the big bowl and sitr all ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Pour MeatLess Loaf mixture into large glass baking dish (no greasing necessary)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in convection or 20-30 minutes in regular oven
- Bake until lightly browned on top and let cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving, giving it time to set.
- Cut into person portions and serve with Mushroom Gravy, get the recipe here.
Ingredients For Mushroom Gravy
- 7-10 large white mushrooms, finely chopped or sliced (depending on how chunky you like it)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 carton “Imagaine” brand Portobellow Mushroom Soup (not the broth)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
Directions For Mushroom Gravy
- In medium saucepan, saute garlic and mushrooms together in 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Simmer for 10 minutes then reduce heat to minimal temperature
- Prepare cornstarch by wisking 1 tablespoon with 1 cup of mushroom soup until smooth
- Slowly add mushroom soup/cornstarch mixture while stirring over lowest heat setting
- Stirring together with chopped mushrooms, slowly add more soup (from carton) while carefully stirring constantly
- Add more of this mixture until desired thickness is reached (usually about 1 more cup, 2 cups of soup total)
- Turn off heat, remove from burner
- Stir in 1 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1/4 cup raw beet juice (optional, adds coloring)
Notes: Serve with the following suggested sides: mashed potatoes, grilled or steamed vegetables, quinoa, or with a wrap or sandwich.
* For optimal nutrition value, soak nuts and seeds 4-8 hours in purified water this will reignite live enzymes in the nuts and add to flavor of the overall recipe
** If you have a nut-allergy, use legumes instead of nuts. Lentils, tempeh, or quinoa works great and gives you plenty of protein!
When shopping for your ingredients, be sure to follow your Naturalista Nutrition guidelines:
- Use non-genetically-modified-organism ingredients
- Choose organic when available
- Use local and seasonal ingredients
- Wash and cook in purified water
- Cook food in stainless steel cookware
- Bake in glass or ceramic bakeware
Naturalista Nutrition–Health Benefits:
- Helps to facilitate active brain function.
- Support both respiratory and immune system.
- Helps with high blood pressure and detoxification.
- An excellent source of vitamin B2.
- And a stellar source of copper and zinc