When I’m in a pinch for lunch or dinner ideas, I often turn to my good ol’ power bowl options. Why? Because they’re easy and nearly everything can go in them. We love doing Taco Tuesdays at home but sometimes want something other than the traditional taco shells. So, my vegan quinoa tofu bowl is the perfect substitute. You can roll up the ingredients in a tortilla to make a burrito, fill a taco shell, or crumble some taco shells on the bowl for a little less carbs.
No matter how you make my vegan quinoa tofu bowls, know that you’re getting a healthy dose of plant-based foods. This meal is filling but not bloating — win-win for me! Enjoy.
Vegan Quinoa Tofu Tacos
- Casserole Pan or Oven-Safe Pan Le Creuset Buffet Casserole With Glass Lid
- 1 package Organic Firm or Extra Firm Tofu (Press tofu to remove extra water before cooking with it. Don't use Silken Tofu it's too soft.)
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix (I use the Whole Foods Brand)
- 1 package Cubed Portobello Mushrooms (Clean and remove the stems and inside (black gills) Cubed)
- 1 cup Cooked Organic Quinoa (cook per instructions on package)
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1/4 cup Shredded Vegan Cheese (I use ViolIfe Mexican Style Shreds -- Vegan Cheese)
- 4 cups Chopped Salad
- Sauté garlic and avocado oil
- Add cubed portobello mushrooms and sauté
- Mix in cooked quinoa and sauté
- Crumble in tofu, making sure it gets thoroughly mixed with the ingredients
- Sprinkle in taco seasoning -- do not add water do not stir. The water from the tofu is enough. Mix all until fully covered. Instead, fluff and fold the ingredients so that the tofu still remains in crumbled form.
- Add vegan cheese and taco chips, fluff and fold.
- Put the casserole pan in the oven and set to broil for about 5 - 10 minutes, just to make it a little crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve with black beans and a salad for lighter calories or as a taco or burrito for a more hearty meal.
- Top the salad option with vegan sour cream, salsa, and unsalted pepitas or other nuts. Eat without toppings if you want to consume fewer calories. It's delicious either way.