Love, love, love this meal because it’s simple…good for you and leaves you feeling awesome. If you find you have issues with digesting beans, try soaking your beans before cooking them. When you use fresh beans, you need to soak them. What happens is the beans will develop a sometimes thick layer of foam. This is the anti-nutrients that are coming off of the beans. It’s like a film of scum of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. These can cause gas, heartburn, acid reflux and other digestive issues. It’s because your gut is trying to digest things that aren’t very digestible.
Beans, Rice & Potatoes
- 2 cup beans (soaked and rinsed well (usually soak overnight))
- 1 cup brown or white jasmine rice (soaked and rinsed well)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 cloves of crushed garlic for the beans and potatoes
- 2 Juice of limes for rice (optional)
- 2 potatoes scrubbed clean with skins on and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Seasonings: rosemary (sea salt, pepper, sesame seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Handful of cilantro (or more, if you like!)
- Soak your beans in a covered pot on the counter with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for 12-24 hours (this improves their digestibility)
- When ready to cook, rinse the beans until the foam is gone
- Fill a pot with filtered water, place the beans in it and boil. Be sure to scoop out any of the foam that rises to the top.
- Simmer with crushed garlic for about four hours or until the beans are tender.
- While the beans are cooking, prepare your rice as instructed on the package (sometimes I add lime juice to the water when making rice in the rice cooker)
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil with a bit of garlic
- Add the potatoes and cook until soft yet crunchy and brown
- Add red bell pepper cook over low heat, just until slightly soft (only a couple of minutes)
- Add your seasonings to taste
- Serve with rice and beans and top with cilantro