This is an all-time favorite of mine, especially on a cold winter day. It’s hearty yet leaves you satisfied without feeling stuffed. Simple to make, easy to digest, and delicious. Use organic ingredients as much as possible and make sure your veggies are fresh.
- Lentils (follow the guidelines for how much you’d like to make…I like to make a potful so that I have some for the rest of the week)
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1-2 Cucumbers (chopped, small)
- 1/2 White onion (chopped)
- Several leaves of basil
- Garlic (you decide…we’re garlic lovers so we use about 4 cloves)
- Sprinkle of Reggiano cheese (aged 2 years or try our vegan nut cheese, see the recipe)
- Optional: dollop of salsa or hummus
- Squeeze lemon over the top
- Prepare the lentils by using fresh lentils or Trader Joe’s sells pre-packaged lentils that are pretty good–and work fine when you’re in a hurry. They might contain more sodium than you like, so check the package ingredients.
- In a sauce pan, sauté the garlic, chopped onions, and cucumbers, just enough to let the flavor soak in, but don’t let the veggies get soggy.
- Mix the sautéed ingredients into the lentils. Add Roma tomatoes.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of Reggiano cheese and a dollop of salsa.
- Top with chopped fresh basil leaves.