- Lentils (follow the guidelines for how much you’d like to make…I like to make a potful so that I have some for the rest of the week)
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1-2 Cucumbers (chopped, small)
- 1/2 White onion (chopped)
- Several leaves of basil
- Garlic (you decide…we’re garlic lovers so we use about 4 cloves)
- Sprinkle of Reggiano cheese (aged 2 years or try our vegan nut cheese, see the recipe)
- Optional: dollop of salsa or hummus
- Squeeze lemon over the top
- Prepare the lentils by using fresh lentils or Trader Joe’s sells pre-packaged lentils that are pretty good–and work fine when you’re in a hurry. They might contain more sodium than you like, so check the package ingredients.
- In a sauce pan, sauté the garlic, chopped onions, and cucumbers, just enough to let the flavor soak in, but don’t let the veggies get soggy.
- Mix the sautéed ingredients into the lentils. Add Roma tomatoes.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of Reggiano cheese and a dollop of salsa.
- Top with chopped fresh basil leaves.