Simple. Delicious. Nutritious. That’s how you roll with my Simple Tempeh Tacos. Gotta love Taco Tuesday or, for that matter, any day is great for Tacos!
And when they’re this easy to make you’ll want every day. Who wants to have to grind in the kitchen after a long day at work or taking care of the kids.
What I love is something so simple to make and easy to clean up but darn good, and that’s this Simple Tempeh Tacos recipe.
My daughter actually turned me on to the whole concept of using Tempeh. Before that moment I would see it in the store and, I have to admit, it just looked strange — kind of like space food.
The packaging was odd — tightly wrapped in plastic — and it was so condensed that it seemed like it would never have any great texture let alone taste.
I was definitely wrong. Of course, tempeh, even this brand that contains cultured organic soybeans, brown rice, and millet, takes on the flavor of the spices you use to season it. So, it’s not gluten-free but the barley in it doesn’t bother my digestive system or thyroid.
But this Organic 3 Grain Tempeh by Trader Joe’s has great texture and consistency to use in meals like tacos and pasta sauce.
The Fooducate folks give the 3 Grain Tempeh an A-. You may want to pick up a couple of packages since each one doesn’t make a whole lot.
A quick word about what cheese to use. One of my pet peeves with plant-
based eating used to be that plant-based cheese tasted pretty much like cardboard — completely flavorless and unlike any cheese I would eat.
But, it’s come along way. I am especially talking about Miyoko CreameryCultured Vegan Cheese. This plant-based sharp cheddar cheese is crazy good! And, I don’t say that often about vegan cheese. I’ve included a link below but on Amazon you have to buy it in bulk, pretty costly. So, look for it at Whole Foods.
Also, check out Miyoko Schinner the founder’s story and how she created the food category artisan vegan cheese.
Simple Tempeh Tacos Recipe
- 3 Organic Grain Tempeh — Trader Joe’s
- Taco seasonings
- Sliced or chopped onions
- Tortillas ( (I like the Grain Free Almond Flour Tortillas, Whole Foods 365 brand))
- Cheese ( (highly recommend Miyoko Creamery Cultured Vegan Cheese))
- Pinto beans ((optional))
- Mexican rice ((optional))
- In a deep frying pan, crumble the Tempeh and cook over medium heat fro about five minutes3 Organic Grain Tempeh — Trader Joe’s
- Add 1/2 of the taco seasoning packet (or season with your own spices)Taco seasonings
- Add one 14 ounce can of tomatoes or tomato sauce
- Add the rest of the taco seasoning packet
- Simmer on low heat stirring frequently for 5 minutes
- While the tofu taco mixture is cooking, heat your tortillas on stove or in the oven
- Serve with sides of beans and rice and top with cheese, salsa, and guacamole… Enjoy!
This recipe helps me to prepare my 1st plant-based Pasta.