This is my no-sin, healthy, zucchini pasta recipe that allows me to have a good Italian meal without the heavy carb load you get from spaghetti. If you want you can always do 50-50 mix of zucchini noodles and traditional spaghetti––both ways are delicious!
If you’ve been reading my blog posts then you know that I’ve gone from not plant-based (prior to launching this site) to 100% plant-based, and now to eating mostly plant-based but with some meat, poultry, and fish, which I have found works for me right now.
So, when you make this recipe make it 100% plant-based using alternative meat or use whichever protein works best for you.
Zucchini Pasta A Healthy Substitute For Spaghetti
I do love a spaghetti dinner but that heavy carb load tends to not agree with my gluten sensitivity and therefore I try to limit gluten to also protect my thyroid (see my story about Subacute Thyroiditis) .
When I eat this spaghetti dinner, I feel energized and light. It’s not often that can be said, especially after an Italian meal. But the zucchini compliments the pasta sauce and since it’s served raw it gives good texture and crunch (think al dente pasta!).
I top it with fresh oregano and nut cheese.
When possible, I love to make meals with few ingredients that are from organic and nutritious whole-foods. I believe as a career woman that finding ways to keep my meals simple enables me to eat better, work, find time for my family, me, hobbies, fitness (I work to close all my rings on my Apple Watch every day), and all the rest of life (which during COVID means a lot of house cleaning!). However, I make it very simple and start with Rao’s pasta sauce to save time. When I’m not making pasta sauce from scratch, this is the only pasta sauce I will use. It’s delicious and often mistaken for being homemade. I do add to it to give it my unique twist. See the recipe below.
How To Make Zucchini Pasta
- 4-8 medium sized zucchini
- 1 jar Rao’s Pasta Sauce – taste homemade (I like the Roasted Garlic but the Marinara and the Tomato Basil are also good)
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Sprig of fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon or so of dried oregano
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp of capers (I like this brand of wild capers)
- 2 tbsp crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- Salt, pepper, other Italian seasonings
- Protein of your choice (cooked how you like)
- Nut cheese recipe here, Parmesan, or vegan cheese to top
- In a sauté pan, heat the pan first, then add olive oil and crushed red chili pepper flakes
- Add onion until it’s iridescent and not browned about 5 minutes over medium-high heat
- Add garlic sauté garlic for about 30 seconds, don’t burn it.
- Add Rao’s sauce and seasonings (salt to taste) bring to boil; simmer over low heat
- Cook your protein and then add it; simmer for minimum of 30 minutes over low heat
- Wash and towel dry your zucchini
- Spiralize your zucchini and create serving plates
- When your pasta sauce is ready, pour over zucchini on each serving plate
- Top with nut cheese, and fresh oregano and enjoy!